As a little girl I remember watching my mother with the razor and wondering when my hair would finally grow so I could shave too, praying for that first leg hair so I could be a big girl, all grown up just like her! If only I knew what I was really asking for! Puberty sucks and there’s no other way to describe it! As a girl or boy we go through some pretty shameful moments growing up and unwanted hair is a huge part of it! Unfortunately, I was one of those kids whose parents thought I was ‘too young’ to shave and therefore swimming lessons were always a joy! So, when the age hit (and the dreaded trend for pencil thin eyebrows started) I was first in line plucking, shaving and waxing away!
So, 10 years on… (and some) and I wonder: how many minutes, hours and days have been taken up by the tiresome effort to be hair free? How many shaving rashes, in-grown hairs and random flecks of hair I’ve had to endure over the years just not to look like a gorilla at the zoo? How many Friday nights spent doused head to toe in shaving cream preparing for the weekend, or orgasms I’d missed out on because I was a week away from seeing my waxing lady! Since having done Laser Hair Removal, I can honestly say it has changed my life! I sometimes wish I was born in the 2000’s so I could have discovered this younger but then I would have missed out on blue mascara, dream matte moose and dressing up as Baby Spice and what a tragedy that would have been!
So down to the nitty gritty and why YOU should invest in YOU and start laser hair removal as a priority for not just you, but your sanity!
Firstly, I’ll tell you the benefits because really we just want to know how it can help us rather than the magic behind it, and believe when I say…it’s MAGIC!
- SAVES TIME because who has spare time these days? Most of us are consumed with 8-6pm jobs (because the song ‘working 9-5’ was a LIE), kids (or fur babies) running around causing chaos or simply just too busy living our best lives to waste even 5 minutes on shaving, plucking or waxing!
- No more unwanted or embarrassing facial hair – I have honestly lost count the amount of times I have said to one of my girlfriends ‘can you see my hairy lip?’ So whether you suffer from a hormone imbalance or just have excess hair on your upper lip, chin, side burns, neck etc. IPL Hair removal will destroy the hair follicle which doesn’t leave you with stubble or re-growth!
- No waiting for the hair to grow – No ‘missed opportunities’ because you’ve had to wait for the hair to grow with IPL Hair Removal, we treat the hair clean-shaven.
- No Shaving rash or ingrown hairs – Those little buggers…Although sadistically very satisfying to remove, in-grown hairs can be very painful and not the most pleasant to look at! Ever shaved two days in a row? Yes you know the pain I’m referring to and the ugly rash you are left with, with IPL that is not a problem!
- Soft, Silky Skin! YES, whip out that swimwear or sexy underwear because you are ready to go! The treated area is left feeling soft and smooth, completely renewed!
Now we have covered the benefits lets discuss the science behind it!
Firstly, one of the most popular question I am asked….does it hurt?
The sensation varies; however, it is often described as an elastic band ping and on a scale of 1-10, on average you should be between 2-5, which can vary depending on which body part of the body we are treating. No anaesthesia is required, and most clients describe the discomfort as low and tolerable, a cold gel is applied which helps cool the area and help direct the light into the skin.
How does it work?
The Intense Pulse Light (IPL) is placed on the skin and a short pulse of light is released which targets many follicles simultaneously. The light energy heats the pigment within the hair and effectively destroys the hair follicle without damaging the surrounding cells.
So why do I need multiple treatments?
Only hair that is actively growing (Anagen stage) is affected which is why multiple treatments are needed. The hair growth cycle consists of three stages; Anagen, Catagen & Telogen.
THE ANAGEN PHASE
The Anagen phase is the period of growth. The cells in the hair bulb divide rapidly creating new hair growth.
THE CATAGEN PHASE
The second phase of your hair growth cycle is Catagen. This period is short, lasting only 2-3 weeks on average. In this transitional phase, hair stops growing and detaches itself from the blood supply and is then named a club hair.
THE TELOGEN PHASE
Finally, hair enters its third and final stage called the Telogen phase. This phase begins with a resting period, where club hairs rest in the root while new hair begins to grow beneath it.
The required number of treatments varies due to several factors such as an individual’s growth cycle, area of the body, hair density, thickness, ethnic origin, hormonal status and age. Typically, 6-8 treatments are needed for the very best results so we can get all of those growing (anagen) hairs.
What will I see after the treatment?
The hair follicles are damaged by heat, but the hairs remain in the follicles. The dead hairs shed after 1 – 3 weeks as the epidermis renews. During this period the hairs will seem to ‘grow’ as they are pushed out by the new epidermis.
The skin may be red immediately after treatment and the hair follicles may be swollen and bumpy but this usually subsides within a few hours, you may use a cold compress at home or some light soothe/aloe vera.
Is IPL Permanent?
IPL hair removal is permanent, the hairs which are destroyed during your treatment will never return however, your skin contains dormant hair follicles so it is possible for new hairs to appear during the growth cycle (although these will be much finer than your original hairs and more sparse).
I hope this has answered your question but please feel free to contact me directly for a natter!
The Laser Skin Clinic